I only discovered Green Bean Casserole in college. It was not a thing in my house during Thanksgiving. I also am pretty sure I ate it in the Spring and so every summer when I see green beans in season at the farmers market, I need to make it.
However, I used to make it with a can of soup and that isn’t super healthy so I scoured the internet for a healthier recipe and I found one from How Sweet Eats that I LOVE and have been making a few times a year over the last year. You should too.
Lighter Green Bean Casserole
(adapted only slightly from How Sweet Eats)
2 pounds fresh trimmed green beans, snapped in half
1 tablespoons olive oil
1 large sweet onion, very thinly sliced
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
.5 tablespoons unsalted butter or margarine
16 ounces white mushrooms, chopped (2 8oz packages)
3 garlic cloves, minced or pressed
2 tablespoons flour
1 1/4 cups low-sodium vegetable stock
1 cup skim milk or fat-free half and half
2 tablespoons freshly gated parmigiano reggiano cheese
3/4 cup italian seasoned panko breadcrumbs
1.Preheat oven to 400.
2. Heat a large oven-safe (cast-iron is best) skillet oven low heat, add olive oil, onions and 1/4 teaspoon salt. Stir well to coat, then cover and cook onions until caramelized, about 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
3. While onions are caramelizing, boil a large pot of water. Once boiling, add green beans and cook for 5 minutes, then drain and run cold water over top, letting sit in the sink to air dry and until you’re ready to use.
4. Once onions are caramelized, remove with kitchen tongs and set aside in a bowl. Add butter to skillet, then add chopped mushrooms and toss well to coat. Cook for 6-8 minutes until juicy/soft.
5. Add in the garlic and the caramelized onions, cook for 30 seconds.
6. Increase heat to medium-high and sprinkle the flour over top. Stir well to coat and distribute, cook for 2-3 minutes.
7. Pour in vegetable stock and milk or half and half. Stirring constantly, let mixture come to a bubble, then let cook for 2-3 minutes until just slightly thickened. You don’t want it TOO thick since it will also cook in the oven. Season with remaining salt, pepper and then stir in 1 tablespoon of parmigiano reggiano. Add green beans and toss well to coat.
8. Cover the top with remaining caramelized onions, italian seasoned breadcrumbs and the remaining tablespoon of parmesan. Bake for 25-35 minutes, or until mixture is bubbling and bread crumbs are golden. Serve ASAP!
It is so good with just a piece of baguette or a little salad on the side. I realize I am a broken record… everything tastes better with a salad and or baguette.