2 large green or red peppers
1 ½ cups cooked brown rice – make sure you use less water than recipe calls for so rice isn’t soggy
½ -3/4 cups onions, chopped
½ -3/4 cups celery, chopped
½ cup green peppers, finely diced
1 box mixed vegetables, cooked until fork tender
½ cup kidney beans, drained and rinsed (optional)
8 ounces extra sharp cheese, grated
Salt and pepper to taste
1/3 cup Panko or regular bread crumbs
1 T butter
2 T Parmesan Cheese
1. Pre-heat oven to 350. To prepare the peppers, put a tiny slit in each one and put in microwave for about 2 minutes. This will soften them up and you can put more filling in them. Once they are a bit soft and cooled, cut in half and scoop out the seeds and set aside.
2. Sauté onion and green pepper in a tiny bit of olive oil until well cooked.
3. Combine all ingredients (EXCEPT stuff for topping) in a bowl. It is ok if rice is hot. Mix well. Taste for seasoning.
4. Prepare the topping: mix all with melted butter.
5. Fill the peppers with rice mixture. Pack it down with your hand to get more rice mixture in it. Coat with topping.
6. Bake in Pam’d pie pan or shallow baking dish for about 30-45 minutes at 350 or until peppers are tender and topping is brown.
Feel free to add more or less cheese, vegetables, etc. depending on how much cheese you like.
Maybe I should resolve to blog more in 2012?