Is your garden and/or CSA box exploding with tomatoes and zucchini like mine? Well, quit googling the words “tomato and zucchini recipe” and make this Summer Vegetable Tian. Don’t worry, I still don’t even know what “tian” means.
Summer Vegetable Tian (adapted from For the Love of Cooking)
1 tbsp olive oil
1 medium yellow onion cut in half and dicced
2 cloves of garlic, minced
1-2 russet potatoes, or red potatoes, unpeeled
1 yellow squash (I didn’t have this, so I used zucchini)
Sea salt, freshly cracked black pepper, to taste
Dried thyme, marjoram to taste
1/2 cup of freshly grated or shredded Parmesan cheese
1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Pam an au gratin baking dish or pie pan of some sort.
2. Heat 1 tbsp of olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Once hot, add the onions and saute until translucent, about 4 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for another minute. Spread this garlic/onion mixture on the bottom of the Pam’d baking dish.
3. Slice the potatoes, zucchini, squash and tomatoes in 1/4 inch thick slices… or as close as you can get them. Layer them alternately in the dish on top of the onion/garlic fitting them tightly into a spiral, making only one layer. (I liked to stick the tomato in between the zucchini + potato personally!)
4.Season with sea salt, black pepper, marjoram and dried thyme, to taste then Pam the top.
5. Cover the dish with tin foil and bake for 35 minutes, or until the potatoes are tender.
6. Uncover and sprinkle the Parmesan cheese on top and bake for another 25-30 minutes or until browned.
I was scared to make this as it looks complicated, but it’s very easy. The flavors were really good, but next time I make it I might pour the onion/garlic mixture over the top so it is a little less subtle, per Brent’s suggestion.
I googled “what to serve with a vegetable tian” for about 5 minutes and all the internets could think up was chicken. Fail. I was going to make a rice dish of some kind but I decided to go with a little bit of mixed greens w/vinaigrette and a slice of garlic toast. That was just easier; it’s Monday and I felt like hanging out with Maeby/getting a head start on work. By head start on work I obviously mean accidently watching Extreme Couponing with my laptop open.