…until I decided to make delicious pesto.
I have made pesto a ton of times, but it never turned out as good as my parents use to make. It turned out I never seemed to put the simple ingredients in the food processor at the right time until I saw this video.
I found a good recipe from Ina Garten, so I’ll modify it a bit. As far as ingredients go, I use whats listed below, but I don’t measure anything.
Pesto: The Ingredients (adapted-ish from Ina Garten)
- 1/4 cup walnuts
- 1/4 cup pine nuts (I use raw)
- 3 tablespoons garlic
- 5 cups fresh basil leaves, packed
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- just enough good olive oil that the pesto is smooth
- 1 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- Squeeze of lemon to taste
1. Drop the garlic in the food processor and pulse til it’s tiny.
2. Add the nuts, pulse till they are tiny.
3. Add the basil, salt, pepper, lemon juice and pulse just so they are mixed up a bit.
4. Stream in some olive oil. Just enough so that it’s at the consistency you want it… but not enough so that it’s gross and oily.
5. Add the parmesan and puree for one minute.
The next step is to PUT THE PESTO AWAY!! Ina Garten was right when she mentioned in her recipe that air is the enemy of pesto. Air turns it brown and makes the flavor a little funky. To solve this, I make a huge batch for whatever meal I’m making and freeze the rest.