I used to be anti-pasta. I think I overdosed on it especially during my undergraduate days- thanks mostly to my BFF turned roommate Jamie who enjoyed a giant bowl of pasta every night around midnight. Pasta began to bore me so I just quit buying it and seeking it out. Two years ago, another pal, Kate, wanted to make some post-yoga healthy food and printed out the most popular vegetarian recipe from Allrecipes.com.
This recipe renewed my faith in pasta. It also made me like mushrooms. It is very easy to make and really quite healthy. It is awesome. I recommend you drop everything you are doing and try this recipe right now. Or call me and I’ll make it for you. I’m serious.
Suki’s Spinach + Feta Pasta (adapted from Allrecipes.com)
- 8 oz package pasta (1/2 a box, any kind works but I like rotini, penne, butterfly or capatavi)
- 1 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2-3 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 cups chopped tomatoes
- 1 8oz package sliced fresh mushrooms
- 4-5 cups fresh spinach leaves, packed
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 T red pepper flakes
- 8 -10 oz feta cheese, crumbled
1. Chop garlic, onion, tomatoes and mushrooms. This recipe makes about 6 pretty big portions so invite a sous-chef over or have your live-in-dummy chop for you since he has Fridays off. (Thanks Brent!) Also- my friend Kate has used 2 cans of diced tomatoes in place of fresh and said that works, but that fresh tomatoes taste better. I recommend fresh- but to save time/money you can for sure use canned.
2.Heat 1T olive oil in a large skillet (we used our electric wok- normal!) over medium-high heat; add onion and garlic, and cook until golden brown.
2. Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Cook pasta in boiling water until al dente- I do one minute less than whatever the directions on the box says. I also only use whole grain, whole wheat or pasta plus these days. These pastas actually have some taste to them, and I prefer them now. Bonus: they are healthier. After your past is done cooking, drain it and set it aside.
3. Mix in tomatoes, mushrooms, and spinach. The original recipe calls for only 2 cups of spinach, but spinach is a superfood and we (even Maeby) can’t get enough of it. Season with a pinch of salt + pepper. Cook 5-7 minutes or until tomatoes are heated through and spinach is wilted.
4. Reduce heat to medium, stir in pasta, feta cheese, 1T red pepper flakes. I start with adding an 8 oz package of feta cheese and see if that coats the pasta enough. I will often add another once or two if it looks a little dry.
5. Cook for about 5 or until heated through/feta and veggies create a sauce.
You can add a full box of pasta if you want to stretch this recipe out, but I like vegetables a lot better than I like pasta, even after my pasta rebirth.
We ate and watched some DVR’d 30 Rock…which I also highly recommend. And, this might come as a shock, but we ate this with a salad. And I plan on eating any leftovers with one too. What would you eat this with?